Sunday 27 May 2007

Funny English contd...

Or - or 'hair-brained' *she gasps* - I mean that would be a major foolicle ;). Where on earth do they get these ideas?? I s'pose it's because more native speakers speak and don't read - and so they assume 'hair', 'hare' not being in their immediate (dare I say limited?) vocabulary at all! But aaahh!!

Or 'bear-faced design'?? I mean - so there's a horse-faced design and a bull-faced design in the offing??

'The site of it' - ahem, has anyone ever heard of homophones and the fact that there is a flippin' difference??

'Viscous' - instead of 'vicious'.

And I have a friend who emails all these long words - so often misspelled!! Gah! (I owe my recent proliferation of 'gahs' to BO, who has sneakily rubbed that habit off on me! Gah!)

Don't expect this to end - I shall probably off-load here all too often on the subject of the much maligned language. AND (see, I told you ;P it's happening already) - why on earth are we all becoming American in our English?? We are Indian - we have a history and the British were a part of that. That was more than half a century ago. Now we ourselves have appropriated our English... then why why why copy mindlessly?? Gah! The defeat of my argument lies right in it anyway - so I'll stop now :( But it does have its points, you know. I mean, "multie-talented"??? In my dictionary, that is just not in :-)P

No comments: