Wednesday 2 May 2007

Driving Lessons


Link



None of these are in sequential order and none of them make me sound very nice I'm afraid, or us. LOL. But we can be, sometimes ;)



Appa: TURN RIGHT. Turn right, I say! Why don't you listen??
Me: *Why does he start out sounding annoyed?* I am turning right.
Appa: No, you're not. Ethirthu pesathae (equivalent-but-not-quite: don't talk back. literal translation: do not speak against me/ in rebellion)
Me: I'm not!! *In fact, I'm too sleepy to bother to rebel!*
Appa: See? Ethirthu pesathae!




Appa: You're not taking the turn properly. I told you you had to move left and then turn right.
Me: Well, I did.
Appa: No, you did not.
Me: Grunt. (equivalent and literal translation: here we go again!)
Appa: You have to move left *I must really make her understand, and after all she has to see that I do have a point!!! I am teaching, after all.*
Me: Grunt. (equivalent and literal translation: yeah whatever...)

Some moments later...
Me: I did move left but you said to-
Appa: This is the problem. Ethirthu pesathae!!!
Me: Ethirthu pesalae!
Appa: Ethirthu pesathae!
Me: Pe-sal-lae... (no exclamation mark you will please note, to ensure correct tone quality reception) *He said to move to the opposite side indeed. But yesterday when I did he laughed! And reminded me that in India people drive on the left! And when I said he had asked me to move, he said yes but when turning, I didn't need to use the centre of the road like other practice times, but use the opposite side of the left track. I am confused BUT ETH-IR-THU PESA-LAEEEEE!! I am also sleepy. Therefore I will focus and shut up.*

Several minutes later...
Me: *Gasp! I shut up!! I'm such a good girl, Lord! Errrrrrrrm, now I really should shut up.*




Appa: Good turning.
Me: Grunt. (equivalent: thanks. literal translation: oh thanks, that was good to know, but after being not-bad-but-not-nice-either how can I now be effusive about it? I'm too sleepy to think that out but I hope the tenor of my grunt showed I feel appreciative and affectionate.)

4 comments:

Dr Pepper said...

You are so funny and brilliant!

I love you to bits! *hugs*

p.s that was what it was like when i was learning...except without all the Tamil ;)

pilgrim said...

Thanks S-f G :D

*hugs to you too*

Glad I'm not a loner on this one then!

Dan said...

Woah... Looks like its the same all over. It's EXACTLY the same........... :)

And u definitely are not a loner on this one....


Btw, ur awesome writing style continueing.... Excellente!

Dr Pepper said...

Awww c'mon! I miss your blogs! Blog!!