Wednesday 23 May 2007

Fruit of the Spirit

I know that I have subjected you, dear reader (I told you I had a Bronte complex, just be glad I didn't go with 'gentle reader' :P), to a recent prolificacy (I checked and that word does exist :P) of short spurts of creativity... And I am probably going to do it again. Maybe you're better off without the longer, rather interminable rambles ;)

God taught me something, gave me a flash of insight that I am deeply grateful for. There are nine qualities or virtues listed out in the Galatians 22:5,6 bit. But the collective noun for them all in that sentence is 'fruit' and it is singular. I spotted this a few years ago and quite predictably, being the inimitable if slightly patience-testing me, I thought Aha! Grammar mistake - probably a typo!! Call Zondervan! LOL. But in a few more moments I realised God definitely meant for it to be that way. God was saying something - immense yet succinct. I was not exhibiting the fruit if I failed in one of it. I could not ever take it all at one go and be the super-Christian. And I realised it only came as a fruit of the Spirit. God was who I had to seek.

Time has taught me that spending time in His presence, seeking intimacy with Him, just loving Him and learning to love Him makes that fruit happen. See, I can't take and mould the creation out of clay like God did... all I can do is water the vine it falls from :D Well, what can I say... I'm thick and it often take me some time to figure it out ;) His presence brings His glory among us.

But the recent insight was a little bit deeper. There was this moment when I suddenly realised with a hard little catch that I had lost a little bit of the joy. It was only a brief period, but as thoughts go, I then realised I had also been a bit worried and nervous all day. The thought hung in the air before it took shape inside my slightly foggy brain - I knew it was going to be born. LOL.

So I'd lost my peace. Then I saw how the love had gotten chipped away too. And faster than I knew it, I finally grasped what God was saying. I have never realised how dependent they are. Without peace, my heart was not going to be as joyful. Without love, the irritability and not the calm surfaced. Patience (which I dearly need) allows peace, kindness patience... For instance, self-control will not let me act on selfish impulse, it spells patience and peace and love and gentleness and faithfulness...

I am no goody two-shoes. My friends and family will vouch for it ;D I might still take it upon me to tell little M to cut it out - but she will know and I will know that I care, and she doesn't take more than a few minutes to come back and ask if she can visit. As it is, for those who are interested, she has been invited to visit and made arrangements even before she was asked... Let's see if today finds me watching Lion King or the likes and enjoying myself hugely :D.

Lord, You are beautiful. Thank You for being You. You're just fantastic, and thank You for us!!

PS Not quite as short as you'd hoped, eh? ;P

No comments: