Saturday 17 March 2007

Mother's Day

More than a week ago, a friend commented that in one of my blogs I was describing the-mother-of-the-century kind of person but her character was lost in my style of rambling ;O I'd like to say thanks for picking that up - I didn't even know I was writing it, LOL.

Well, my mother may not be the mum-of-the-century (in fact, I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to be that iconic, LOL) but she is quite fantastic and she's definitely my mum-of-the-century! For all you competitive types out there (I have one specific person in mind who is bugging me on MSN now and will probably not read this blog anyway!) - please note that I am sure all your mums are fantastic, that's what mums do. But this is my space to abuse ;)

Now I've been meaning to write this for ages but have always known that it would be an exhaustive subject... my mum. I shall try and spare her as many blushes as possible. And no, she's not perfect, but she's got me for a daughter... and bringing me up must have been quite a task!

Amma's always been one of my best friends after God. Some times more than others. There have been times when I have cried and sobbed because she didn't understand - I would not have sobbed had anyone else not understood! There have been other times when I have wished I could tell her something because I know she will find it amusing too - very few people I know think like that about their mothers... It's usually some special friends... Well, when I have those moments I tell God and laugh, and then wish I had amma, AB or LT to share it with... JR and GJ too often.

It's Mother's Day today and I haven't got a card for her because I've already bought her a birthday card this month combined with Mother's Day wishes and all of this is flippin' expensive to buy and send! But I also can't manage to find quite the right size. I will call later on but there will be nothing much to say and yet we can keep talking - because we have said it all and she knows the details of my life without asking for them! That is the cause of most of my bear-ishness... I realise I have told her all the details and she forgets a few... Of course they are too many and too convoluted in my head for anyone to remember, lol - but I have never been very logical I'm afraid. Just ask ER ;O

I am so blessed to have a mother who is a friend. I think in some ways it makes some of us different. Growing up without siblings, with a mother many years older than I, with the most amazing sense of fun; being treated as her confidante once in a while; more often than not being allowed to argue like a brat until my father decided to enter the fray - a lot of it has gone into making me the person I am. That explains some of my quirkiness too;) But in so many ways I have wished I could have her steady faith - something I am so blessed to see in action and hear about its growth too.

When I was sixteen or seventeen, my American cousin and her kids came over to stay for a couple of months at ours. It was fantastic. Interesting too - little D would wake up at an unearthly hour in the morning, stick a Coke can in his mouth and walk around until someone switched on the games for him. Later as the fancy took him he'd help himself to sweetcorn or carrots and carry on gaming or pretending Power Rangers with me. I was his heroine because I could play Super Mario :O LOL. Little L was always very interesting to talk to - she was then just beginning to be a big spieler - and she could handle spice! They are both two of the most adorable kids. But KD, my cousin, asked me a question which I found strange but have always remembered because of her reaction. She asked if I ever found... found... And I broke in "What, if I ever had a boyfriend?" K said "Yeah, would you tell your mom" (I told you she's American;O). I simply said "Yeah, of course I'd tell her." I thought it was a bit of a silly question really, and put it down to K's ideas of Indianness maybe borrowed from her parents' post-exilic zeal, or just generally K's removed-ness from India, etc. But K quickly asked my mother if she'd heard me say that. And did she realise what a compliment it was? K was paralleling her own mum and her - they have a great relationship too - but it was what led to this conversation. And my mum said she did and gave me a hug... Hmmm, the now ME would not be very happy about the term 'boyfriend'. The now ME is not very happy about my adoption of the term there when K was sincerely looking for one even! But the now ME would still tell amma - and lets amma read my blog.

But telling amma about whether or not I've found someone is not really such a big issue - well, it has never been probably because it's been 'not', LOL. It's those times when I realise I'm growing up, am a bit more 'independent' (overrated word!), and maybe think differently from a few things I am used to... Those times I realise how very formative my mum has been (both my parents indeed, but mostly my mum in that area)... and I know where I differ because they are few and far between relatively. I may have done a lot of growing up recently but I realise my amma's still a friend and a mother and that's saying a lot. Never mind that I find the clucking mother-hen times annoying, or the best-friend hugs sparse now... I can still say that, and I am blessed :)

3 comments:

Ta'fxkz said...

nice post ... did you win Super Mario ???

pilgrim said...

a few times to make sure he knew who called the shots ;O
cruella me! lol

Unknown said...

Overwhelmed