Thursday 22 March 2007

English mine ;)

No, no - I am not about to defend the compatibility of my race and language or any other such tedious idea! I am also rather unsure about why I have this infinite capacity to procrastinate in the most creative, almost productive ways when logic must point to differently hierarchical priorities...

What I am about to do is to record for posterity (who must count themselves privileged ;)) my original coinages in the English language. Well, at least the recent ones I remember, lol. My observations too. Ha! And since this is an ongoing process, I am quite tempted to sneakily edit this one post now and then instead of making new ones with labels....................

BUT you must promise to keep reading it... hmpf tiresome!

Pooportunity - this absolutely precious word was born out of a typo, LOL. I went 'pooportunity' instead of 'opportunity' and suddenly there was a word. A messed-up opportunity, an opportunity gone bad - or even an opportunity for disaster. I love it!

Fantasticity - self-explanatory and it sounds perfect :D We do need a noun for the adjective after all - and fantasy is not quite enough. No, no, no. Fantastic is the adjective for the noun. But fantasticity is the noun for the adjective ;) I just love playing with language, ha!

Yet - uh uh, you're not seeing things... yet. That word indisputably exists in the dictionary :) However, isn't it just such a beautiful word in the English language? In modern usage, in its reference to time, it only goes with interrogatives and questions usually . Yet (;) there's that word again!) it changes the negative into a positive with one fell sweep. Ok, maybe I'm a bit too dramatic here but listen to this...
P: Is your brother Christian? Is he saved or...?
V: No, he's not saved...
P&V: Yet

You see what I mean about the word - in the negative-positive context there is so much hope in the one word :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

POOPORTUNITY - I like that!