Sunday 2 September 2007

A piece of India

Sunday before last, church was out on an evangelistic visit to a village. Two villages actually - and it was way cool. The village women actually cooked a huge meal for us at the end of it! Some more slurping! There was a childless couple there - and they made me get a bit weepy. I mean why? But we looked at each other tearily and were girls. I hugged her and she hugged back - ain't that a kick in the head? ;) And btw I believe the answer to my why question (this one at least) is shortly in the pipeline! After the meal we went to the next village - AND let me tell you, one's internal whatchumacallits defo seem to work on the psychological moment!!!

Anyway what can you expect when they give you a banana the size of a small forearm after your big meal??!!?? LOL LOL LOL. Mad. I should have known though. I got on that bus and halfway to the next village I needed the toilet. And oh how! So I waddle up to the woman highly conscious of myself imagining the eyes of everyone on me! I turn around to see this random pastor following me, in enthusiastic helpfulness. Well, what can you do with him? None of those other watchful eyes were on me - I wasn't half that big a star. So I just plucked up the courage and asked the lady of the house if I could please use her toilet. I wasn't expecting none too posh, but I was hoping she'd say there was one...... She did. She said yes. Random Pastor said no. And I bobbed from one nod to the other shake like a pendulum with jitters. Until I turned to the woman. Look, my speaking eyes said, woman-to-woman you know how much I need this, can you just ignore protocol, forget listening to the pastor-in-authority and just jolly well show me the old john??? However it actually came out quite garbled - The Me said "It's there? Yes. Toilet, there is? No?" The Me was not disappointed. The fellow-woman smiled. Indeed. The pastor reiterated his stand on the matter. But hey, her house, her rules. So I followed, while Random Pastor followed faithfully.

Ten steps down, the lady turned to me with a shyly generous smile, and a broad sweep of her hand, indicating that this was her domain and her largess was meant for the benefit of all, including humble me, in that typically Indian open-heartedness. "Everyone goes in the 'maidanam'". That is the Indian word for a large open space.

:O

I know what you're thinking! LOL I did not.

PS Ever since switchblade blogged about Scrabble and isc, I've gone and gotten addicted again when I thought it was over! I go 500 up and down in a day sometimes! Uh!

PPS It is just great to play the guitar again.

P-this-is-the-last-one-S I have a story feeling and I cannot let myself sit this one out.

3 comments:

SB said...

oooh happy days in the bush toilets!
every time we went for trips , i had to find a particularly well foliaged bush to commune with nature....

they do make the best toilets though.... better than yucky indian ones!! yeaaaarh!!

and yes i was in Stella.. though i shall never mention the name again!!!

pilgrim said...

oohh and now you even like anne of green gables - ooohh yeaaaaaaahhh *strikes up musical note and waves hand in air*

actually i prefer indian-indian toilets to yucky indian-western ones, and i get really grumpy if i'm not given the option!!

That Girl said...

havent gotten any more info on the typa blog you want girl!!! temme temme temme!! i know its something PINK!! is that your favorite color?