Sunday 9 September 2007

A Second Helping of India

Or maybe thirds or fourths or tenths.

Anyway, so seeing my dismal smile of resignation, Random Pastor decided to pitch in. Bless him. Actually all I said was 'Appadiya' literally translating to 'Is that right?' and meaning a lame 'Oh okay'. All smiles now, The Me although my mum or best friends would have detected a slightly weak stretch of lip more like a grimace... Random Pastor asked: 'Right then, shall we take the vandi?'. Vandi simply means vehicle and I just beamed, I tell you. I just decided we were kindred spirits and all that ;D

Then he hauled up his white cassock like a lungi at half-mast, while I just looked him up and down - very respectfully, but slightly baffled at what he might be contemplating next. Well, I was surprised. RP was very enthusiastically offering to take me on my own to his town on his bike.... errrrr I just thought it would be uncomfortable. When my mum heard the story, she applauded my er very creditable prudence. Heh! She was concerned about how the let's-just-say-forwardness might be construed in the very village-y, and parochial setting.................. Well, I was NOT bleeddddddyyy going on that bike on those roads with that skirt on at that point of time. So I gave my extremely-brilliant-toothpaste-ad smile as substitute for the genuine article and said 'Hang on, just one minute, thanks!' and walked right up to what looked to be the Presiding Aunty at the gathering. By this time, I was thinking the whole thing was quite surreal! And I just lied - spoke in faith would be closer, actually - and told her magnanimously that a trip to the toilet would be welcome to all the girls, so could we please have the van instead of a bike? As it would, of course, only be for the general good.

And bingo! It turned out all the girls were actually feeling like miserable waddles themselves and I was just the heroine of the piece (well, here anyway;D). We missed the second village but... Ah, peace. And a very jolly bus ride after a brilliant trip.

No comments: