Friday 11 January 2008

Humph

Okay. I am more than a little tired of hearing friends complain about the guys or lack thereof in their lives. Well, why be sexist? I'm just as tired of hearing the guys complain about the girls too. This reaction is probably in response to the general weather this mating season... From the looks of it, it does seem to have come early in my world.

I have all these romantic desires and blah-di-blah-di-blah. But for goodness' sake, let's not be ultra-dependent on whether or not the guy/girl comes along!!! I love that people confide in me, I love that I'm not a freak without problems who cannot understand anyone else having them. But I will not go gently into this assumption that you absolutely must wait for someone to come along and I honestly don't know how else to respond to the question: "But what if it doesn't happen like that??", except with: "Humph well what if it doesn't??". It's a reality, I think at least, we all have to face... some with more trepidation than others, granted. But consider. You have never been particularly unhappy with your singleness until now (and anyway, it's not as if the single state is an invention of the 22nd century) - when you begin to long for something else. Why? Why can't we just agree to think that romance and finding a guy is a fantastic thing to happen, but that our lives are pretty fantastic atm and that the special someone can come along whenever he does without us manipulating ourselves into emotional wrecks with anticipating way ahead of time! Well, who'm I to complain eh? I look for Christmas sometime in February...

My point is you're unhappy because you're allowing yourself to think you can't be happy unless a, b and c. Don't blame the parents in this regard (my friends seem to like doing that). It's not as if your attitude is very different from theirs. I mean the only difference is with who finds the special s/o first, at least with most India parents! And you're cutting off your nose to spite your face there... in my humble opinion at least.

Anyway... Yeah, I'd love for my mister to show up at some point if he exists. After all, I'm not writing this manuscript. But I refuse to speculate and stay unhappy while he doesn't. I'll try to be prepared (lol, important in my case!) but if he doesn't show up because there is no him, then.... Then what? I don't know - I'll just stay me, I guess?

No comments: